By enrolling in a constituted party you can help designate candidates by signing petitions and voting in a primary election. However, you are not obligated to vote for your party’s candidate in the General Election – you may vote for any candidate from any party.

To vote in a primary you must register for one of the following constituted political parties by indicating your preference on the voter registration form:  Democratic, Republican, Conservative, or Working Families.  You may also choose to write-in a party or not enroll in a party, but in either of these cases you will not be able to participate in a primary election.

Additionally, a change of enrollment received up until February 14th each year will be effective immediately. Changes received on or after February 15th until seven days after the June Primary will be set aside and opened the seventh day following the June Primary and entered in the voter’s registration record

Political Parties